Friday, March 4, 2011

C&I 579 - Reflection 1

Per Dr. Toledo's instructions, I will reflect on the following questions regarding our C&I 579 Ed Tech class:
  • What attitudes, skills, and concepts have you gained from participating in the course so far?

So far, the amount of knowledge and skills that I have acquired are monumental.  Even though I considered myself relatively tech-savvy, I had no idea of the depth of the technological revolution zooming past me.  This class has opened my eyes to web based software like: wikis, blogs, twitter, and digital bookmarking tools, and what's more - how to apply them to the world of education.  Even though at times I feel overwhelmed almost to the point of drowning, it is a good feeling, knowing that I am being inundated with new applicable knowledge.

  • What have you learned in the course that you will not forget tomorrow?


I certainly won't forget about PLNs tomorrow.  Everyday I get on line and ingest educational information form my network of blogs, articles and websites.  I can literally feel my brain swelling with new knowledge.  I also won't forget about our Eluminate class sessions, where we were able to hold class from remote locations, but still feel very engaged and together, almost as if we were in the same room.

  • How will you apply what you have learned to your teaching and future learning?

I'm attempting to apply this learning as immediately as possible.  I am running a pilot PLN networking and webliography project with some of my honors C&I 212 students, largely utilizing Twitter and Diigo I am eager to see the results and hope to possibly expand it to even more students in the future.
Additionally, as I gain more information about the current perspectives and mindset of the younger generation, I am attempting wherever possible to more my teaching from teacher-centered to student-centered as much as possible.  Even though my curriculum is fairly fixed, I am attempting to achieve this through collaboration and group projects.  Still, the more I can model this for my students, the more useful it will be for them when they become teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment