Sunday, September 18, 2011

C&I 489.05 Journal 2

After reading the 2011 Horizon Reports, my interest was really piqued by the mention of Learning Analytics - the process of gathering information on students, their academic performance, and their students trends, and based on the courses they are taking - in some cases while they are taking them - predicting their success rates for individual classes.


As this is an emerging technology, not much information exists surrounding it, but I have been searching.  Certainly, Purdue University seems to be taking the bull by the horns in this regard.  Purdue's campus wide SIGNALs learning management system incorporates learning analytical data.  The program is capable of giving students a report on their success rate as early as two weeks into the semester.  Through "Red light, green light, yellow light" indicators, it continues to monitor students' progress throughout every course they take.


Aside from Purdue, some Ed Tech innovators in Canada (some of Captain Toledo's pals, undoubtedly) Stephen Downes and Dave Cormier have been doing work with and surrounding learning analytics.  I could see that Dr. Downes even taught a masters level course through Athabasca University, but I could find out how to access the course.  I will keep searching.


Regardless, my curiosity has been peaked, and I could certainly see myself doing some sort of research, or some sort of writing regarding learning analytics.  It's predictive nature of student success rates is right up my ally - wanting to be able to predict teacher success rates and ultimately to measure a teacher's ability to bring about student improvement.  I'm very very excited about these prospect, and yet again, my head is swirling with Ed Tech possibilities!

No comments:

Post a Comment